Dr. Eoin O'Sullivan MB, BAO, BCh, MRCPI, MD
Dr. Eoin O’Sullivan was appointed as Consultant Endocrinologist at the Bon Secours Hospital Cork in 2011. A UCC graduate, his initial training was in Cork, followed by time in Dublin, Galway and Scotland. His main interest lies in diabetes and having worked in bariatric units here in Ireland and the UK, he oversees the management of patients with diabetes before, during and after bariatric surgery.
He has produced 30+ peer-reviewed publications and 50+ abstracts from presentations at national and international meetings.
Selection of publications:
- O'Sullivan EP, Avalos G, O'Reilly M, Dennedy MC, Gaffney G, Dunne FP; Atlantic DIP collaborators. Atlantic DIP: the prevalence and consequences of gestational diabetes in Ireland. Ir Med J. 2012 May;105(5 Suppl):13-5.
- O’Sullivan EP, Avalos G, O’Reilly M, Dennedy MC, Gaffney G, Dunne F; for the ATLANTIC DIP Collaborators. ATLANTIC DIP: the prevalence and outcomes of gestational diabetes mellitus using new diagnostic criteria. Diabetologia 2011 Jul;54(7):1670-1675. Epub 2011 Apr 15.
- O'Sullivan EP, Ashley DT, Davenport C, Devlin N, Crowley R, Agha A, Thompson CJ, O'Gorman D, Smith D. Osteoprotegerin and biomarkers of vascular inflammation in type 2 diabetes. Diabetes Metab Res Rev. 2010 Sep;26(6):496-502.
- O’Sullivan EP, Woods C, Glynn N, Behan LA, Crowley R, O’Kelly P, Smith D, Thompson CJ, Agha A. The natural history of surgically treated but radiotherapy naïve non-functioning pituitary adenomas. Clin Endocrinol (Oxf). 2009 Nov;71(5):709-14. Epub 2009 Mar 19
- O'Sullivan EP, McDermott JH, Murphy MS, Sen S, Walsh CH. Declining prevalence of diabetes mellitus in hereditary haemochromatosis--the result of earlier diagnosis. Diabetes Res Clin Pract. 2008; 81(3):316-320
Maeve Durkan - Consultant Endocrinologist
Dr. Durkan is an Honors Graduate from RCSI. She completed post graduate Medical , and sub specialty Diabetes & Endocrinology training in the UK, followed by a second residency in Internal Medicine St. Raphaels Hospital, Yale University School of Medicine, USA and a fellowship in Diabetes, Endocrinology & Metabolism at Brown University School of Medicine, USA.
She is a Diplomat of the American Board of Internal Medicine, a Diplomat of the American Board of Diabetes, Endocrinology & Metabolism and a Fellow of the American College of Physicians. She was awarded a Masters in Clinical Education NUI Galway in 2012.
She is a Consultant Diabetologist / Endocrinologist at the Bon Secours Hospital, Cork and Cork Diabetes & Endocrinology Clinic (cdec.ie) and Senior Clinical Lecturer in Medicine, UCC (University College Cork) School of Medicine, having previously been the Dean of Academy for NUIG School of Medicine.
She is currently the President Elect of UEMS (European Union Committee for Medical Specialties), Board of Endocrinology and has been appointed to the UEMS Examination committee to progress the European Board Exam in Endocrinology.
She was appointed to CESMA (Council for European Specialists Medical assessments) in 2015 and then to the CESMA European examination appraisals subcommittee in 2016.
She is currently Chairman of the Diabetes division of the Irish Endocrine Society (IES) and has just been appointed to the Obesity / Bariatric Division of the IES, as well as IES) representative to the National Committee for Chemical pathology.
She remains an active member of the National Diabetes Clinical Advisory Group.
She is Co-chair of the National Committee R3i (Residual Risk Reduction) Ireland and is part of a working group looking to establish a National Lipid Screening